One of the most advantageous parts of shifting everything to digital is that the consumer experience is wholly trackable. It’s nearly impossible to tell how many individuals bought a product or signed up for a service due to a print ad or billboard, but with digital space, engagement can be monitored and relevant data can be analyzed.
The information received through monitoring consumer behavior doesn’t mean anything if you don’t utilize the data and feedback to determine how that affects your business. The path to success is a different journey for every company, and according to Gartner L2, brands are facing an increasingly narrow path to digital success.
Two courses have clearly emerged:
- Wholesale distribution via retail partnerships
- Mixed direct-to-consumer (DTC) and wholesale strategy
Maximizing search visibility and merchandising with digital retail partnerships and marketplaces (Amazon, Walmart and Jet) can be a challenging endeavor that takes careful development and strategic planning.
Always be strategic with content
According to Forbes, by 2021, mobile e-commerce will account for 54% of all online sales. 38% of users will stop interacting with a website if the layout is unattractive and 39% of website visitors will stop engaging if images don’t load. Content is everything and what is especially important to understand is the varying degrees of control brands have over content creation and data collection. In the midst of historically changing levels, the importance of brand search strategies cannot be underestimated.
Critical tools and tactics
What tools and tactics can brands use to maximize real estate on paid and organic Google searches?
- Invest in relevant and compelling site content. According to Gartner L2, only 4% of first-page mobile search results link directly to branded sites. Grow your share with unique and thought-provoking content that grabs the attention of the consumer.
- Create online exclusives. Understand your online retailers’ different product designations and merchandising opportunities and leverage them to assist with your brand’s ownership of product results.
- Focus on select product categories. Give attention to your best-selling products, especially if you are a niche brand. Tune in to successes and nurture those products in the digital sphere.
- Invest in marketplace content. Learn and participate in your chosen marketplace’s content and actively run paid promotion.
Although various target audiences will behave differently, it’s necessary to nail down your brand’s presence and it’s critical to recognize the position of your brand in the digital space. Testing theories, continually learning, and refining your strategic plan is imperative to enable growth, complete your vision, and accomplish the mission of your brand.